It's our busiest days that can make us feel most stressed. You can feel the body tighten and the heart rate increase when your schedule is pulling you in different directions. And a mountainous list of tasks can overwhelm even the most "chill" person. After all, there are only so many hours in a day...and there is just one of you!
Follow these steps on your busiest days and open your eyes to your own strength and grace under pressure.
- Start your day with a bit of exercise...even 2 sets of 20 jumping jacks plus 10 to 20 push ups (knees up or knees on floor). This will only take 5 minutes, but it will help release stress-relieving hormones and make you feel more relaxed. Exercise for a full 30 minutes if you can. This could mean doing yoga, walking, running, lifting weights, dancing around your room, or just moving your body with the intent to release your nerves and let go of your stress.
- Then sit still for five minutes. Try...to be quiet and just breathe. Don't run your to-do list through your head. Instead focus on your deep breathing, trying to make each breath a little longer and slower and more comfortable. Set a timer. You HAVE five minutes to do this.
- Eat Breakfast...a good one. When you're in a rush and "skip" a meal, you're not fueling your body for the needs of the day. It's like expecting your car to take you on a 100 mile road trip and you only have 10 miles of gas in the tank. Eat an egg or two with some fresh fruit...or a warm bowl of oatmeal topped with fresh fruit and a drizzle of honey or agave nectar...or a slice of whole grain bread with peanut butter...These things don't have to take a long time to prepare or consume. Pack them to-go or make them the night before. You will feel better prepared for what lies ahead.
- When you're in the storm of your day...when you are feeling tension and pressure creep in...when you feel like you can't take any more...STOP...ROOT...and BREATHE. STOP what you're doing and freeze in place, whether you're standing, sitting, no matter where you are. Close your eyes and ROOT yourself into the ground. Imagine growing roots from your feet, into the earth. Take three long slow deep BREATHS. This should only take about 1 minute. And you DO have one minute to do this exercise. When you're finished, continue on with the tasks at hand. You might do this just one time on your busiest day, or you might do it a dozen times. But YOU are worth the time. This will change your perspective and reaction significantly.
- If you find that every day is "your busiest day," then you might need to reassess your schedule. Go through and remove 2 or 3 things each week that are not absolutely essential or necessary. . We all have things we can cut out of our schedule. You must find balance between the energy you fuel yourself with - and energy output - what you give. If there is an imbalance there, you will feel stressed. Ask yourself what you can change to come closer to that delicate balance in your life, where you can feel more ease, and less "busyness." Ask for help if you need it.
It can be tough to figure out on your own. If you need support, I can help. I work with people to help them do just this...find balance in life. If you're interested in a personal wellness evaluation, send me a message and let me know. Your health, wellness and sense of balance includes the foods you eat, your level of physical activity, level of satisfaction with life, sense of purpose, lifestyle and more. I'd be happy to support you on your journey to be your best self.